Yaa Muhammad! – If a man’s name is unknown (and in some cases his name is known, but no one cares to address him by it), he is called “Muhammad.”
- Usually the person being called “Muhammad” is a worker.
- “Yaa Muhammad” is similar to “Hey Joe!” or “Hey you!” (unfortunately as Muhammad is a praiseworthy name).
Sanf/Sinf: Maaddah – Item. There are other meanings, however, if you see this word in supermarket circulars, it means item, Wallaahu Aa’lam.
Taazah: Taazaj – Fresh/new.
Jambaree/Jammaree – Rubyaan – Shrimp.
- Quick side note: Fried = maqlee/maqliyyah.
Ex: Dajaajah maqliyyah = (Fried) Chicken nuggets.
Ex: Jambaree maqlee – Fried shrimp.
‘Abayah: ‘Abaa-a – If you go to the sooq and ask for an ‘abayah, you will be given a jilbaab. If you specifically ask for an “Abayah Islaamiyyah,” you will be given what we call in the West an “overhead abayah.”
- If you’d like an ‘Abayah Islaamiyyah with a tieback, then ask for it “ma’a raabtah.”
- Most shops stop at size 68 or 70. If you need something longer, they will offer you a tailor-made garment. This is known as “tafseel.”
Fareez: Faraawalah – Strawberry.
- Some doctors refer to it in their home remedy books as Al Faraawalatul Fareez or Toot al Ardhee.
My daughter came home from the corner store crying covered in soot. I asked my neighbor what happened while they were out. She said, “taahat,” meaning “waqa’at” (she fell).
Asfal: Tahta – under.
In Shaa Allaah I will add ‘Arabic text to all the word lists as I dislike to use transliteration alone. I will update as soon as I can.
I am not upon a high level of knowledge when it comes to the ‘Arabic Language. I am still treading the path, Walhamdulillaah. If there’s some misinformation in either of the word lists, post a correction in the comment section. Baarakallaahu feekum.